Kathmandu Climate & Temperature
- Kathmandu, Nepal is at 27°42'N, 85°22'E, 1337 m (4386 ft). See map.
- Kathmandu has a humid subtropical hot summer climate that is mild with dry winters, hot humid summers and moderate seasonality (Köppen-Geiger classification: Cwa).
- According to the Holdridge life zones system of bioclimatic classification Kathmandu is situated in or near the subtropical wet forest biome.
- The mean temperature is 18.3 degrees Celsius (64.9 degrees Fahrenheit). See the temperatures page for a monthly breakdown and the fixed scale graph.
- Average monthly temperatures vary by 14.5 °C (26.1°F). This indicates that the continentality type is oceanic, subtype truly oceanic.
- In the winter time records indicate temperatures by day reach 19.7°C (67.4°F) on average falling to 2°C (35.6°F) overnight.
- In spring time temperatures climb reaching 27.3°C (81.2°F) generally in the afternoon with overnight lows of 11°C (51.8°F).
- During summer average high temperatures are 28.3°C (83°F) and average low temperatures are 19.3°C (66.8°F).
- Come autumn/ fall temperatures decrease achieving average highs of 26°C (78.8°F) during the day and lows of 12.3°C (54.2°F) generally shortly after sunrise.
- Total annual Precipitation averages 1343 mm (52.9 inches) which is equivalent to 1343 Litres/m² (32.94 Gallons/ft²).
- On average there are 2556 hours of sunshine per year. Visit the sunshine and daylight section to check monthly details including how high in the sky the sun reaches each month.
- Were you to burrow down through the centre of the Earth from Kathmandu you would pop up nearest to the climate station at Isla De Pascua-Mataveri, Chile where you would find a Tropical wet climate.
Kathmandu Climate Comparisons
In depth comparisons with over 3,600 world destinations. Better understand a climate by comparing it relative to one you know (check it out):
Rio de Janeiro,
Kathmandu Climate Graph in Metric Units
Kathmandu Climograph in English Units
Please help others find this resource by sharing the link:
Climate of Kathmandu, Nepal Discussion
Post your insights, comments, questions, answers, feedback, error reports, related link suggestions etc. using the easy form below.
Topic: Climate of Kathmandu, Nepal
Page 1 of 1
Navigate to Surrounding Climate Guides:
- Lhasa, Tibet, China - 603.4 kms (375 miles) ENE
- Darbhanga, India - 178.5 kms (110.9 miles) SSE
- Guwahati, India - 641.5 kms (398.7 miles) ESE
- Cherrapunji, India - 689.6 kms (428.5 miles) ESE
- Cherrapunji, Meghalaya, India - 689.6 kms (428.5 miles) ESE
- Dumka, India - 425.6 kms (264.5 miles) SSE
- Dhaka, Bangladesh - 686 kms (426.3 miles) SE
- Kolkata/ Calcutta, India - 647.4 kms (402.3 miles) SSE
- Chittagong, Bangladesh - 881.9 kms (548.1 miles) SE
- Bhubaneshwar, India - 829.8 kms (515.6 miles) S